Amtgard is a contact sport. As such there are some things to consider if your child wants to participate. The current Youth Policy can be found in the rulebook or on the Amtgard Inc website. One item to be aware of is that one on one interactions between adults and minors must be avoided for non-family members. This is in order to protect both the adults and youth participating in Amtgard events.
Players must be at least 14 years old in order to participate in the combat portions of the game. Monarchs may choose to assume responsibility and allow a younger child on the field, but this is on a case-by-case basis and the following requirements must be met:
- The child’s legal guardian has agreed to assume responsibility for the child’s safety and has filled out an additional waiver acknowledging the risks inherent in a combat game when participating with adults.
- The child’s guardian is present and keeps an eye on the child while participating.
- The child must be big enough to participate safely
- The child must safely follow all rules of combat
- The child must be mentally and emotionally able to handle the game combat.
Please check the rule book for the most up-to-date version of these requirements. They are listed under “Age of Combatants”
If your child is under 14 please be aware that this approval must be granted each park day. Changes such as changes in park officers, which officers are present, the presence of visitors that are not used to playing with younger children, the size of the group, and other factors may impact whether your child is allowed to participate that day.
It is also recommended that parents participate with their children if they are under 14. This can help make sure that everyone is safe and make it easier for the child to participate.